Exchange Residency Tabakalera
Tabakalera and MORPHO are delighted to expand their collaboration in 2024 with an international residency exchange. Tabakalera and Etxepare Basque Institute will continue to support the residency of an artist from the Basque Country (Autonomous Community) coming to Antwerp. Thanks to a special project grant from the Flemish government, next year MORPHO is also able to support the residency of an artist based in Flanders going to Donostia-San Sebastián.
The residency in Donostia lasts for 3 months, in the period of October 1 – December 31, 2024.
- Accommodation with private double bedroom and bathroom in the Hotel One Shot Tabakalera House, placed in the building of Tabakalera, with a small working area in the bedroom with internet access with WiFi. The accommodation will also give access to a shared kitchen and living room.
- An individual studio space between 12.5sqm and 50sqm, with basic furniture, a nearby water supply, electrical power, lighting and internet access with WiFi. The studio will be assigned taking into account the characteristics of the selected project.
- Access to all resources of Tabakalera as well as to the collections and resources of Medialab.
- A programme of studio visits and an open studio presentation.
- Artistic guidance and practical assistance from the staff.
- Up to 500 euros round trip travel costs are covered. The residency also provides a 1,000 euros monthly fee and up to 500 euros project budget.
MORPHO, a nonprofit arts organisation based in Antwerp, is dedicated to the development of artistic practice. We give time, space and resources to artists with the aim of fostering a dynamic and a sustainable context for artistic work. We do so by creating studio space in the city, and residency programmes with partners abroad. As a residency, we annually host around 20 Belgian and international residents whom we support in their projects and trajectories. The programme consists of weekly collective sessions in an environment that encourages critical dialogue and playful experimentation. We also regularly organise events and presentations in the context of the garden and the refectory of the former monastery where the residency studios are located.
Tabakalera is the centre for contemporary culture located in the former tobacco factory of Donostia/San Sebastián. Since its opening in September 2015, it has pursued two main goals: the support of artistic creation, and making it accessible to a wide audience. In its 38.000sqm, Tabakalera hosts different cultural institutions and programmes, such as the San Sebastian Film Festival, Basque Film Archive, Elias Querejeta Film School or the Kutxa Foundation. Tabakalera pursues its mission of supporting production and dissemination through the artists in residency programmes, commissions, exhibitions, film and education programmes, a medialab etc. Tabakalera, as a centre of creation, develops a residency programme, to support artists, creators and cultural agents. This programme's main aim is to provide support and assistance to artistic processes, both at a conceptual and production level.
- With the support of
the Flemish Government and Etxepare Basque Institute